Monday, April 24

Posted by Laurel Garver on Monday, April 24, 2017 19 comments
Welcome, A-Z Blogging Challenge friends. This year, my theme is Prompt-a-day, with fun or thought-provoking writing prompts to use as a story start, warm up, or creativity stretching exercise.

Thankful


Write a thank you note to someone who changed your destiny.



Writing prompts can be a helpful tool, no matter where you are in your writing journey. Here's how: 5 Reasons to Write with Prompts.

Love writing with prompts?

Check out my latest release, 1001 Evocative Prompts for Fiction Writers. It will stimulate your thinking wherever you are in your writing journey and get you writing today. It provides story starts and writing inspiration for a wide variety of genres by focusing on emotions, character development, and pivotal moments.

You can face a blank page with confidence when you use these prompts to warm up, beat writer’s block, develop and maintain a writing habit, change up your routine, start a new project, experiment in a new genre, deepen parts of an existing story, or overcome burnout.

What are you waiting for? Dig in and get writing right now!

Add it on Goodreads
e-book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / Apple iTunes / KoboSmashwords
Pocket paperback (5"x 8", 114 pp.) Amazon / Barnes and NobleCreateSpace
Workbook (8"x 10", 426 pp.) Amazon / Barnes and NobleCreateSpace


Q4U: How might you spin this prompt in an unexpected direction? How about as time travel romance or legal drama?

19 comments:

  1. Hi Laurel - saying thank you is essential - and one could write a book of thank you letters ... as has been done. But I'm not sure I can think of someone who changed my direction ... yet I'm sure I could dream something up given time .. just not now: thank you! Cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/t-is-for-turkey.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary, for consistent visiting--makes me glad I participated in the A to Z. Time will tell if the decision changes my destiny. Many big things start small. :-)

      Delete
  2. What immediately came to mind was a sarcastic thank you note for changing someone's destiny for the worse.
    Discarded Darlings - Jean Davis, Speculative Fiction Writer, A to Z: Editing Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great twist. That could work well as a sort of epistolary short story.

      Delete
  3. Changed my destiny...gosh there's so many people. I'll have to write at least five. One to my 2nd grade teacher. One to these missionary ladies. One to this guy I had a crush in 2007. And finally one to my mother.

    T is for Terrific Actress
    http://theglobaldig.blogspot.com/2017/04/u-is-for-unbelievable-actress.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cornucopia of thankfulness sounds like. Happy writing!

      Delete
  4. I believe- we meet many people on the way in our life's journey for a reason. They all impact us in some form or another! We shape our destiny.
    God wants us to learn & grow.
    Thank you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose how we choose to react to the influence of others is our choice, and it does shape what kind of people we become. We can receive their good with thankfulness or reject it, we can absorb their ill will and become bitter or seek to bless them anyway (as the Sermon on the Mount urges).

      Delete
  5. I have to ponder about this prompt... There are so many I am thankful for :)

    Expressing gratitude is one of my daily rituals. It has changed my life!

    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Good luck on the rest of your A to Z challenge

    Sylvia @ The Creative Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prompt can be helpful for deepening your understanding of a fictional character, too. Simply write from that person's point of view.

      Delete
  6. I once wrote an essay that was essentially a thank-you note to four high school teachers without whom I am convinced I would not be here today. You never know how someone's life might be changed by either a simple act of kindness or heart-thought words of appreciation.

    Sharon E. Cathcart
    Award-winning Author of Fiction Featuring Atypical Characters
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great example. That's why it could spark a whole story, right? The gratitude sparked by the kindness could come back to bring light to the kind person when they need it most.

      Delete
  7. Ooh! I have a good one for this one. It's a poem I never finished and maybe should, thanking my ex-husband for pushing me onto better things. :-)

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of adversity comes change and new good stuff. Love it.

      Delete
  8. Recently my mom told me about something that happened in life i was not really appreciating.... "do u realize what a blessing that was?" .... We need gratitude.... It makes us human

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many times it is only in retrospect that we see how a hardship or trail was actually a blessing. In the moment, I'm learning to say, if nothing else, "this will make a good story later"!

      Delete
  9. I'd probably make something sarcastic and dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Jean (see above) are thinking along a similar track. That could be a very cathartic way to take this prompt! Have fun with it.

      Delete
  10. Thanks. Hope it stirred your imagination a little.

    ReplyDelete